If you're wondering how to use CBD in your baking, you're in luck! CBD can be used in a variety of baked goods, and it's a great way to enjoy the potential health benefits of this popular natural compound.
In this blog post, we'll show you how to use CBD in baking, and we'll share some tips for getting the most out of your baking experience. Also, we’ll include a bonus recipe!
Keep reading to learn more!
How to Add CBD to Your Baking Recipes?
When it comes to adding CBD to your baking, we think using our 1000mg cannabidiol oil is best as it is strong yet subtle in taste!
But, we all know that adding too much oil can sometimes cause a recipe to break especially when it is a batter.
So, what's the best way? Add it with other fats such as butter and oil - when making cakes or cookies!
You can also use CBD isolate - CBD isolate is a powder that will easily incorporate with flour, using either oil or isolate will keep your recipe simple yet still deliver those perfectly fluffy cupcakes or gooey cookies!
Why Use CBD in Baking?
I guess you know using CBD in baking is a great idea as you are here, however, you might wonder what some of the advantages of using CBD in baking are.
Let’s take a look:
- Some studies show CBD is better absorbed when taken after or with a meal, especially if it has a higher fat content.
- Some people don’t like the earthy and natural flavour of CBD, and baking with CBD can mask the flavour!
- When preparing your ingredients for your baking you can easily measure out exact amounts of CBD and work out a per serving dosage.
- Putting CBD in your baked treats is a much easier, and fun way to take CBD compared to dropping oil underneath your tongue!
What Temperature Can I Bake CBD?
CBD can indeed be heated. Just make sure you don't go over 180°C (356 °F), ideally the lower the better.
If your CBD baked treats require an oven temperature that goes above this then it is likely some of the CBD will be degraded or lost during baking.
However, if you use a full or broad-spectrum oil that contains CBDa (cannabidiolic acid) you could gain some CBD. CBDa is converted to CBD when gently heated between 110 and 130 degrees Celcius.
What types Of CBD can I bake with?
You may be wondering what form of CBD you should use; the best options are oil and isolate, so let’s take a look at these:
- Should be added in with the fat to keep your recipe simple!
- Is a simple option to add CBD and is one of the easiest methods.
- It is easily available!
- Has the benefits of additional cannabinoids, terpenes and flavournoids.
- CBD Isolate is a powder that you can add to flour!
- Has virtually no taste or smell and is great for the sweeter recipes or any time you don’t want to risk compromising flavour with CBD oil
- Is less common than oil.
- Is generally a much cheaper ingredient, even though the extraction and refinement process is complex!
So what’s better? Either option is great and they both are simple to add to your recipe so, it doesn’t really matter. The preference is yours!
How to infuse CBD into your bakes
There are a few different ways to infuse CBD into your bakes depending on the type of CBD you choose to bake with. For example,
If you choose an oil-based CBD product, this could be any spectrum, then it would be best to infuse the CBD into the fats in your recipe.
For example, you could substitute some butter or oil with the amount of CBD oil needed for your dose and serving size.
Now if you choose to use CBD isolate to bake with then you could add that to the flour in your recipe and mix thoroughly.
There would probably be no need to substitute the flour as the amount of CBD would be very small relative to the overall recipe. CBD isolate also has the advantage that it won’t taint the flavour!
How Much CBD Should I Use In Baking?
This all depends on several things,, but the main factors are serving size and dose. If you were making a batch of 12 cupcakes, and your dose was 25mg of CBD you would need 300mg of CBD.
However, your amount of CBD per serving would change if your baked good was intended to be eaten twice or even three times per day!
I’d say for cupcakes and cookies which are meant to be eaten once, you would need 25mg of CBD per cupcake/cookie.
If your treat was meant to be eaten twice I would go for about 15mg of CBD.
Recipe: Easy Chocolate CBD Cupcakes!
Here’s a recipe for some delicious chocolate CBD enhanced cupcakes. This recipe serves 12 and provides 25mg CBD per cupcake.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 - 25 minutes
200g Unsalted Butter - Softened
200g Cater Sugar
150g Self-Raising Flour
50g Cocoa Powder
3 Medium Free Range Eggs
1 - 2 tbsp Milk
300mg of CBD - Oil or Isolate
For The Icing - Optional
160g Unsalted Butter - Softened
300g Icing Sugar
1 tbsp Milk
1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl and cream until light and fluffy!
- Add the eggs 1 at a time and beat well after each addition. Add the milk in and if using our cannabidiol oil 500mg (or 1000mg strength) add it now! Fold in the flour, also add the CBD isolate if using and incorporate until the batter is smooth!
- Fill each case ¾ of the way and bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Once cooked, transfer the cakes onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Put the butter in and beat until smooth and creamy. Then add a little icing sugar at a time until incorporated. Add the milk and vanilla and mix in.
- Pipe the frosting (optional) over the cooled cupcakes and serve!
So, if you’re looking for a delicious and easy way to enjoy CBD, try adding it to your baking recipes!
You can use any type of CBD oil or extract in your cooking, but make sure that you check the temperature recommendations – most are better suited for baking at lower temperatures than others.
And as always, start with a small amount and work your way up until you find the right dosage for you.
If you like using hemp with your food then check out this article that covers some great ways to use hemp seed oil with your food!
Thanks for reading, and we hope this article has helped give you some ideas on how to add CBD to your favourite baked goods!
Do you have any questions about using CBD in baking? We’d love to hear from you via our live chat in the bottom right corner!